For a chilly damp spring day like we had last week, I still yearned for some warm soup, even though spring is almost over. This soup was perfect.
Cabbage and chickpea soup with fresh basil (from Fat-Free Vegan)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 6 cups hot water (plus bouillon cubes, below) or vegetable broth (and no bouillon cubes)
- 3 cubes no-salt added bouillon cubes (or enough to flavor 6 cups of water)*
- 1/2 head cabbage, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 16-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- generous grating black pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, lightly toasted (optional)
- Heat a large, non-stick pot. Add the onions and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes. Add the carrots and garlic and cook for another two minutes. Add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT the basil and pine nuts. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in fresh basil and serve in individual soup bowls, topped with 1 teaspoon of pine nuts, if desired.
Makes 4 – 6 servings.